LOS TEROPONG

Los Teropong (Teropong means binoculars) comments on current issues in Malaysia, and sometimes the world, and put forth another opinion and perspective. BY THE WAY - THEY HUNG THE WRONG GUY ...

WELCOME

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Links
Friends
Islam
AF
Malaysian Newspaper
International News
Airlines
TV Chefs
Cooking Anyone?
Bonsai Anyone?
Multimedia
Rojak
Sunday, May 29, 2005
Changes in the Education System..?
I was intrigued to read (NST 28 May 2005) about the remarks of the DPM, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak regarding the need for in depth study before any change in the education system is made. Hmmm .. allow me to share my views. He said the Government had made changes by introducing English as a medium of instruction in Science and Mathematics. I sat for my MCE (SPM) in 1976 and it was ALL in English. Two years later the medium was changed to Malay. Now, English has been re-introduced. My generation would argue and still belief that there was no reason to change from English to Malay, at least my wife and I would argue about it. I still wonder till this day .. what was wrong with it? We did OK! .. excellent English ... excellent Bahasa .. what was the problem? We are no less MELAYU. It fact we are BETTER Melayu with good command of English and Malay. Now, English berterabok, hancoq ..

On another note (as per printed in the neswpaper), it was mentioned that implementing the smart education concept actually led to quality education and to the methods of teaching and learning which differ from the old ways. Fuyooo .. this word quality is not easy to quantify. Please don't use this word so easily. WHAT IS QUALITY EDUCATION?? If you can answer this, I salute you.

Was the quality not good during my time in school. I had a GREAT time in school. I can still remember my History teacher, Mr. Arul (in Kepala Batas) who came in class without his book. He did not waste his time REPEATING the text but told stories and was very animated to the point that I can still recall his gestures vividly till today. Nowadays, the students are asked to REWRITE the text in the books into another book .. WHY?? True .. of course .. my children also go to school and I know that is what they do. I asked them why and the said, cikgu suruh. I said why don't you just photocopy the flipping book. Depa tak berani ...

With all due respect, I have five chidren in school (the eldest is now in UPM) and I dare say the methods has not changed. I see my children and what they do and compared with what we did. I beg to differ but I assure you, we had a better time. There are no doubt some new tools like the computer but please do not have this naive faith in technology. It does nothing more than what YOU do with it. It has never been about technology per se, it has always been the HUMAN potential that use technology. You can have a jet at the back of your house, but if YOU do not know how to fly it, you can always dry your clothes on it!! You don't believe me, call me to give a workshop. I am not very expensive. Aiyaa .... tak tau lah ..

posted by Rozhan @ 5/29/2005 01:32:00 AM  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Rozhan
Home: Penang, Malaysia
About Me:
See my complete profile

Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix



Web Counter
Web Counter
:: MalaysiaTopBlogs ::
Malaysia Blogsites List
Locations of visitors to this page


Previous Post
Links
Tarikh Hijriah
Referer
  • Web Pages referring to this page
    Link to this page and get a link back!
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER